Thursday 9 January 2014

Video Art

The truth is I enjoyed the video The Reflecting Pool  and maybe experimental videos could give me some inspiration. For this reason, I went to lux.org.uk and typed time. For every work I though it could be relevant to me, I firstly try to find it on youtube. If I couldn’t find there, I then would try UCA’s library (online). The two videos I found on UCA’s online library catalogue  were: Time as Activity(1969) by David Lamelas  'made in 1969, is comprised of three four-minute sequences, that register real time from a fixed point, at three different places in the city.' - http://lux.org.uk/collection/works/time-activity-dusseldorf and Obsession: Structuring Time and Space by Ivan Ladislav Galeta.
In addition to these, I also found Berlin Horse (1970) by Malcoml Le Grice on youtube. Before I write anything else I invite you to watch it. 
<;

What is this video about ? What did Mr. Grice wanted to show us? Should I fell bad for not understanding it?                                                                                                                                                                 I truly haven’t got a clue. The website  http://lux.org.uk/videos/berlin-horse writes that:
 ‘This film is largely filmed with an exploration of the film medium in certain aspects. It is also concerned with making certain conceptions about time in a more illusory way than I have been inclined to explore in many other of my films. It attempts to deal with some of the paradoxes of the relationships of the “real” time which exists when the film was being shot, with the “real” time which exists when the film is being screened, and how this can be modulated by technical manipulation of the images and sequences.’
 Ok, now everything  makes sense. NOT! – I watched it again after read the statement and still don’t get it. At the moment I would be lying if I said that I appreciate experimental film/video art. I would also be lying if I said that I know it well and I’ve watched plenty of it. My non appreciation about it is based on the little material I’ve watched, including Berlin Horse. However, I do want to keep an open mind and try things that I haven’t tried before, including experimental films. But, I must say that right now I believe I don’t want to produce this sort of work.
I’ve created a list on myuca’s library website and saved the items I found. I going to borrow them as soon as I get back to Uni. My research on experimental video will only continue after I watch these films. But, maybe it won’t.


No comments:

Post a Comment